Friday, October 10, 2008

The Book: A Dying Animal? (chapter one)

Thanks for your comment, Susan. I like Doris Lessing. I met her once for an embarrasing 3o seconds. But she's certainly a good choice for the award. And I really liked her "oh, god" response when told she'd won.

Anyway, moving forward. I wanted to point out that I was at a FUTURE OF BOOK PUBLISHING event this past week at the library of congress with my friend Art Taylor. He has written on the event really well, and I suggest you go here to find out what he has to say. I'm fascinated--and possibly a little frightened--of what's happening today in regards the industry. Not sure where we're going, really, but it would seem that whatever happens it'll be radically different 30 years from now.

What do you all think? Where are we going? Is the future of the "book" going to be online? Is it going to be interactive, where the "author" will be removed from the text and, instead, we'll have a group of authors (perhaps anonymous authors with avatars) ? Think about this. Is the the paper book a dying animal?




2 comments:

Serena said...

I hope the paper book is not going the way of the dodo! I really enjoy holding a book in my hands and turning the pages. I love the way words look on the written page and the way the pages feel in between my fingers.

I'm not to fond of reading books online or in readers that are digital. I find it impersonal and sometimes it hurts my eyes, but that could also stem from the fact that I work at a computer all day and am not interested in looking at a computer when I am done working. :)

OnTheMove said...

I too am not especially fond of reading books on a screen. Some people seem to choose the most inappropiate backgrounds. Red text on a black background is the worst! And yes, the book smells divine, and it feels wonderful to know that you are the first person to turn the pages and make those creases down the spine. Old books are treasures waiting to be discovered. I recently found a tiny leatherbound nurses handbook in a car boot sale that was published in 1934 and has the handwritten notes of the nurse that owned it on the inside cover. This little book has a soul, has been in the pocket of someone who needed it every day, and if it could talk could probably tell of a lifetime of experience that I can only imagine. Books are magical. Apologies for the passionate ramble! :-)