Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Writer's Center Turns One Blog Old

Dear Members and Friends of The Writer's Center:

My name is Kyle Semmel, and I'm the communications and publications manager of The Writer's Center. Today is Sunday, June 8th, and it's hot, hot, hot. Summer has returned to D.C. and it's time for me to once again pine for those cold, snowy western New York winters I knew growing up. But since I am sitting in the air-conditioned coolness of the Center with a little time on my hands, I've decided that now was as good a time as any to start The Writer's Center blog.

At this blogspot, which I hope to update regularly, members and friends and anyone who comes to the site will get a behind-the-scenes look at what's going on here. That means regular updates on our workshops, our events, our member and instructor publications, etc. Despite the heat and the record-high gas prices, there's plenty going on here these days.

On May 30th, for example, award-winning journalist Ann Hagedorn gave a lecture on writing 20th Century U.S. History to a packed audience. Then yesterday we had our annual Summer Open House, and there was a good turnout for that as well. We met some new folks and made some new friends. The Writer's Center community continues to grow. At the Open House we announced that anyone who mentions the Open House when registering for a multi-session workshop this summer will get $50 off that workshop. To get this benefit, all you have to do is call us before close of business on June 15th (10 p.m.) to register for your class. Unfortunately, you wouldn't be able to do this when you register online. You can view classes here: http://www.writer.org

I'll keep this first post brief and end here. Like the Center itself, this blog will continue to develop and expand in new and exciting ways. It will have no set format, but I will from time to time invite authors reading at the Center, instructors, and members to post entries. Additionally, I'll add links to cool lit-related places online where you can get all sorts of useful information to help you with your writing.

Well, until next time.

Kyle Semmel

No comments: